Whether it is spiders, rodents or bugs, pest infestation is something no one wants.
Once the unwelcome visitors take over your property, your only solution to pest infestation is to call for backup – pest control. Here at Smarter Services, we have some actionable advice to help prevent pests altogether.
Seal and secure entry points
Sealing any entry points may seem like the obvious step in securing your environment, but it is essential to take care of the matter. Pests are very sneaky! Ensure that doorways are kept closed with gaps sealed. Make sure to check your windows are properly shut and not broken. Small pests such as ants can fit through almost any tight space. Fix any cracks in walls and floors to keep every entry point blocked.
Keep things clean
Pests want food and shelter, so, when you accidentally leave crumbs on the floor, you are inviting and encouraging them into your home or work premises. Ensure you keep all food and drink stored in containers and as far away from the ground as possible. Take out the trash regularly to avoid fruit flies; they won’t stick around for long once you remove their source of food. Keep all bins outside if you can.
Keep everything dry
It’s not unusual for pests to go for weeks without feeding, but moisture offers nourishment for lengthy periods. Ensure no water is left in sinks or around work areas. You should also check the plumbing system, especially under sinks and pipes to ensure there aren’t hidden leaks or drips available to them.
Recognise the signs
With bigger pests, such as rats and mice, they will do anything possible to avoid human contact. So there’s a strong possibility that you won’t see any warning signs unless the infestation is established.
One of the more apparent signs is, of course, animal droppings. You may even find nesting materials such as shredded paper lying around. Be aware of any food packaging that has been damaged (i.e., chewed) and holes that seem like they have been eaten through. Mice will do this to maintain an entry point to the property. Prevent it while you still can!
Carry out regular inspections
The most effective way to stay on top of rodent control is to remain alert – early detection is critical in stopping an infestation before it gets out of control. Carry out regular reviews and inspections to ensure all of the above points are being adhered to.
Pests to look out for
- Ants will nest in the soil next to or under buildings, along pavements or near plants. They are attracted to warm, damp locations such as walls, under floors or near heating systems.
- Bed Bugs can be found around the world. Bed bugs are found in environments such as apartments, hostels and hotels, trains and buses. Unsurprisingly, they stay true to their name and love to make a home in your bed. Bed bugs’ are so small that they can hide quite easily in seams of mattresses, bed frames, headboards, other bedroom furniture, behind wallpaper, in clothing, or any other household clutter.
- Birds usually nest on flat roofs and ledges, in-house eaves, or near water and tend to leave their mark through excrement. Avoid feeding them if you wish to keep your gutters clean! Read our blog on bird proofing here.
- Fleas tend to nest in the hair of both animals and humans and will feast on blood. Fleas can be dangerous as they transmit diseases such as typhus.
- Rats and mice like to make nests or burrows in sheltered indoor and outdoor locations like basements, lofts, and tool sheds.
- Flies love to snack on garbage and animal excrement so keep your environment clean to avoid an infestation.
- Mites are far too small to spot. They get their nutrients from shedding human skin flakes, pollen, fungi and bacteria.
- Spiders are found everywhere and anywhere. Although many people are afraid of them, they’re quite beneficial to an infestation. They eat other insects!
If all fails, you should always call in the experts. One or two bugs are manageable, it’s almost bound to happen, but if you’re concerned you’ve got an infestation brewing, it’s best to call an expert to solve the issue as soon and as safely as possible.
Get in touch
Smarter Services has been operating pest control services since 2005. To discuss ethical ways to remove unwanted pests from your facility call 0207 112 8857.
Where facilities management maintenance is concerned, saying goodbye to the winter months and hello to spring is very much welcomed. Click to read.
Eco friendly cleaning is a small yet significant step to improve your office space. Click to read more about it on our blog.
Have you prepared for your fire risk assessment? Smarter Services can help you get organised. Click to read more on our blog.
Without bird control in place, birds can cause a significant amount of damage to buildings and offices. Find out more about this service on our blog.
Like what you see?
Smarter Services will elevate your residential or commercial premises and most importantly, will keep them that way, long-term.